Monday, January 17, 2011

Good Mom, Bad Mom

My daughter, Avery, is the reason that I get up every morning.  She is 5 years old and one of the funniest kids I know.  I am glad that I have waited to have more kids because it has given me a chance to really get to know her as the little person that she has turned out to be. 

There are many times when she can truly drive me crazy but I think that is quite normal.  It breaks my heart to see her upset and although I have to do it once in a while, I hate to punish her.  There have been many times over the last couple of years that I worry that I am not making the right choices.  I am fortunate to have a hubby that consults me when punishment needs to be doled out.  We often discuss what we should do before punishing her.

There are some mistakes that I know that I have made.  The main one is that I joke with her far to often.  I am a quick witted person and sarcastic by nature.  I joke around with and tease Avery constantly.  In one sense I think this has made her a stronger person.  In another sense, I think it may have been the wrong way to go about things at times.  Avery has a hilarious sense of humor and is capable of coming back with some pretty quick and funny comebacks, but as a 5 year old, she sometimes doesn't know when it is appropriate to joke and when it is not.  This is my fault.  The newest feat that I am trying to accomplish is teaching Avery when it is impolite to tease and when it is ok.  Wish me luck on this one!

I think with this blog, I will just write daily little quips of what my parenting experience was like, and I hope to get some feedback and comments on my musings.  If you are a parent, please stay tuned.  I would love your opinions and support in this battle we all call parenthood!

No comments:

Post a Comment